Friday, July 11, 2014

I Love Complicated

I love complicated!  That is one of the dumbest statements I’ve ever heard…

This little thought has haunted many and is often a topic of conversation daily.  Maybe you’ve struggled with this and at one point in your life you’ve thought “I’ve had enough”.  I have to say that the people involved in this area of life are not helpful; you’d think they would be, but it seems that no matter how hard they try, they, like me, find themselves muddying the water rather giving a clear picture.
You may be asking, what in the world are you talking about Bill?

As soon as I tell you I am sure you will sit back and say “oh yeah, I would agree.”
I know this area of life is one of the “never talk about” items you are always told to never mention for fear of offending or being misunderstood.  It’s not politics, though that one is quite controversial, it’s the other dreaded issue, religion.
Ask 100 people, even people who attend a religious service weekly, and you’ll get 125 answers.  Why? Some of those people have more than one opinion on the matter.  So, what do you do when you’re trying to figure out a complicated matter?  I would say for me, it’s helpful to break it down to its smallest parts.  What are the building blocks of the challenge that lay before you.
This little series of articles are my attempt, maybe futile, maybe not, to look at religion, not just any, but Christianity, in its most basic form.
I must say that I want to give a disclaimer here, I want to say that I am not an expert, nor a trained theologian.  Truth told, I am like most of us, I do think I know what is correct…  despite proof to the opposite that occasionally creeps in.
What I can say is that the journey to my convictions is wrought with changes that have come over time and for me.  The most unfortunate part is that the longer I live the more I must admit my want for being “right with God” is littered with futile attempts at righteousness.
In the days ahead as you read these thoughts and ponder my sanity, my heart yearns for you to know, as Paul says, the “depth and width of God’s love.” Any other experience and I ask for your forgiveness for surely I have fallen into the trap of creating mere religion once again.
Let us start first with why complicated things make us feel securer about our God and man relationships.
One of the most difficult admissions any of us can make is that we compare ourselves to others.  We enjoy the “wins” and cry out “foul” when someone else gets ahead of us.  This is no different in Christianity, there are people sitting in front row pew and seats in church who if given a polygraph test would fail when asked, “are you better than ???.”
Here is where one avenue of complication begins its trek down a crazy street lined with all kinds of “street lights” glaring hot lights of judgmentalism and comparison traps wider than sink holes.
There has always been a pecking order among believers; it started early on, one great example is a mom and two sons.  Jesus may…. these two sons of mine… sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your kingdom was her request.  One on the left and one on the right, positions of power in a kingdom that would overthrow the Romans.  Or so they think.  Jesus says, to sit at my right hand and at my left is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.”   (if you read a bible, check this story out in Matthew 20)
Why, why would I speak of this issue as “complicated” when there is great theology to contemplate, well, it is because when it comes to thinking we are right with God, we most often say “I’m a good person, at least I haven’t ___________ like __________.”  You fill in the blanks, either with your answer or one you’ve heard.
That is where things get complicated.
So, let’s examine the notion that one person deserves heaven more than another because of their choices, I think it’s a great place to begin our journey. 
One insight would be to ask a man who claimed to be the Son of God what he thought about how men compared themselves to others.   Here is what a doctor of the day wrote about what his investigation uncovered about the “Sons” story of two men, “He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.  The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed[a] thus:  ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’  But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’   I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.” (again, bible readers, try Luke 18)
No green light here for making a big deal of how much you surpass others in your actions.  A young man who became a king spoke these words a number years before the story above came to light, “there is none who does good, not even one.” (clue Psalm 14)
Again, no green light here.  Oh, I am sure that some sage may have said different, but if you’re honest, you would admit that you’ve never really met anyone who has never done anything wrong go ahead, try. 
Every person with skin on has made a decision to do something wrong, so where did that come from? Or maybe this more difficult question will begin to shed light on the reality that we have all blown it.  How did I even know if it was right or wrong?  We’ll jump into that vat of oil in our next edition.
Here’s my point as I wind down to a close.  Since we have all blown it, then we’ve all done wrong and there must be a standard to compare our actions against.  So, if there is a standard of behavior that must be kept, then we’ve come up short and as such, someone must fix that.  So how?  Have you ever read anything, in any religion, including Christianity, that tells you when you’ve crossed the line of all your wrongs and evened out the scales by your “good deeds?”
Go ahead, where is the list of rules, the ones we try to use to show how good we are, that has a marker on them and says “enough?”  Go ahead, I’ll wait.  Still waiting.  Pardon my sharp sense of humor.
So even if someone else has done more wrong than you, how does that help you even things out.  Do you look at a judge in court and say, “I haven’t murdered anyone one your honor, can you please forgive my ticket for drunk driving.”  The judge would look at you and say, “what does that have to do with anything?”
Suppose you tried this one, “I’ve never robbed a bank before sir, so can you excuse me for not paying my taxes?”  Again, the magistrate would cry “what?”
So, put away that list of good things, set aside all your comparisons and realize, first of all, that if you’ve done wrong, there has to be a way to make it right.  The problem is no religion, not even Christianity, tells you where the line of “good deeds” is to make all things right.  Nowhere in any religion is the “scale” that is weighed down our bad tipped by the good by any list of behaviors that negate their effect.
So here is a thought to ponder before our next visit, if heaven is a place where perfect, blameless people go when they die…  (see the shepherd boy turned king again, Psalm 15) How are you going to get the bad stuff, as the little boy with a clean plate before him, “all gone?”
Till next time…

1 comment:

Ame said...

Good stuff, Bill! I await your next posting!