Wednesday, July 23, 2014

A Good Hard Kick In The Shin...

All it takes is a simple kick to the shin bone to understand the truth behind today’s rambling words…



Many times in our lives we, or others we know, cry out that “life’s not fair” or that things are “not right.”  In my younger years I would not have found these phrases encouraging, but now I smile when I hear these words.
When I smile, it’s not to laugh at our make fun of others, though I have been accused and actually felt guilty for it from time to time.  I know that my “encouragement” comes at someone else’s peril or pain.  So, my attempt in the following paragraphs is to share why I take such delight in the phrase a tired or beaten heart calls out.
Have you or someone you know ever said something like “it may be wrong for you but it’s not wrong for me (others).”?  Today, as in many cultures, right and wrong is often defined by the people who are living a way they believe to be right.  And that is not even in the farthest moral lines most agree on.
There was a group of men about 2,000 years ago, teachers and practicing lawyers of their time, who found fault in a young man who was making life difficult for them.  Here is a quote from their interaction with this “prophet” of their day… “Why do your disciples (followers, students) not walk according to the tradition of the elders, but eat with defiled hands?”  This question was a valid question for these men to be asking, after all, they were to be guardians of the truth of their culture and its religious heritage. 
So why was this question wrong?  Listen as the young “prophet” answers their question, as he often did, with another question… “Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written, ‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’ You leave the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men.” And he said to them, “You have a fine way of rejecting the commandment of God in order to establish your tradition!  For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.’  But you say, ‘If a man tells his father or his mother, “Whatever you would have gained from me is Corban”’ (that is, given to God)— then you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or mother,  thus making void the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And many such things you do.”  For you and I the names Isaiah and Moses may or may not bring to mind anything, but for these men, it was the core of their heritage and as such meant a great deal.
So I return to a question posed before and to be repeated, “why is _________ right?” or “why is ________ wrong?”  As a matter of fact, the core behind this question is actually, if right and wrong are different for different people, then there is a problem.  Unless…  You ask the question behind the question.  Here it is, don’t pass over it lightly and read it again should you need to…
Where in the world did the idea that anything is right or wrong come from?
You see, that is the deeper, maybe even the deepest inquiry needed. 
Contemplate these thoughts for a moment…
~Why does a thief think that when someone else steals from him that it is wrong?
~What makes a person who is immoral, cry foul when someone else does something immoral?
~Is there anything to the reasoning of a drug dealer or gang, who practice what society clearly outlaws, has laws and turf?
~Can you explain the joy or thankfulness you feel when someone does something good for you, where does that originate?
Behind these thoughts is the clutching reality that all of us, people on both sides of the spectrum of defined morals, have a “code” of ethics, even if they don’t match our neighbors or the surrounding society.  So, then, why do these exist?  Where do they come from?  If people “know” there is a right and wrong, where did “knowing” originate or flow from?
May I suggest a source?  Actually I will borrow a term from one of my favorite writers.  It is because we are born with a “natural law.”   There is a belief inside of us that speaks up when we or a person we love is hurt by someone else.
Which brings me to the shin bone…. Connected to the moral code…. Connected to the ??????
Here’s the deal, if I was to kick you in the shin bone, regardless of the force, would it be wrong?
If you say no, then hold on, I’m going to test your belief system.  If you say yes, then please explain to me where you got your definition of wrong.   You may just say “because it hurts.”  And yet, if I was a surgeon, you would endure the hurt at my hands without claiming it wrong?  So you are on shaky ground with this reasoning.  “If you say I was told it was wrong” I would ask that you tell me who informed you and where did they get their standard.  If you said that “it’s not a nice thing to do”, again, how do you know that?
The very fact that you even have any clue of right and wrong comes from somewhere.  The other amazing thing is that, just like the “honor among thieves” I eluded to earlier, every culture, civilized or not, has a set of standards that have a consequence.
Now, I wish to close with a thought from a man who was called the wisest of his day, he is the person that inspired Pete Seger to write the song based on his words.  Later the pop group “The Byrds” took this cute little tune to #1 on the charts.  The writing begins, “to everything there is a season…”  a few paragraphs later he wrote, “God has set eternity in their hearts.”
Could these words be correct?  If not, then where did your inner sense of right and wrong come from?
I’ll take the obvious if you don’t mind, it has a lot of “heart” in it.  You can complicate it if you want, but it seems pretty straightforward...
Till next time…

No comments: