Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Oh Ramble On, Ramble On...


Anyone besides me ever have timing problems? I remember my days of playing baseball in High School. Our coach used to teach us how to bunt, specifically it was the "squeeze play" that got me in trouble the most. You see, you're not supposed to "tip your hand" when you are attempting to bring a man in from third with a suicide bunt. It means just what it sounds like, you are throwing away your turn at bat for the sake of scoring a run. If you turn too soon, it allows the infield to react and puts the runner at risk. Hold out till the last minute and your timing comes in to play. Get it wrong and not only could you be out, but you could leave the runner stranded like a sitting duck for a double play.
.
Why all the baseball talk? Well, last night I wanted to pass along a thought that occurred to me while I was sitting harmlessly reading a book. I was so excited that not only did I tip my hand and tell you I was going to give you "Questions about the Questions" but after I awoke today, I realized that some of my "ramblings" didn't even make sense. (please no comments from those who are now loading their quick quip guns) I got all pumped up and blew the squeeze play. To top it off, after reading yesterday's contribution, I now know it would have been better if I'd have waited to share it after this entry. So, since I have made a fool of myself many times (again, put away the guns) I thought, duh Bill, why not just admit it and go on, after all, the questions are really thought provoking.
.
SOOOOOO, here it goes...
.
These questions are about the question and as such hopefully will help us all come to a better answer of the question (you may want to read that again)...
.
If my church (or any church) is dead, who is dead?
.
If I don’t know who is dead, how do I know it’s dead?
.
If I don’t know it’s dead, am I dead?
.
If my church is dead, what killed it?
.
Is death always a bad thing?
.
Why am I currently thinking of my church (or some other) as dead?
.
When did I first notice that it was dead?
.
Why did it take me so long to come to that conclusion?
.
When I say dead, what do I really mean?
.
If it is truly dead, is it truly dead?
.
If I think a church (my own or other) is dead, is it my preference that clouds my vision?
.
What does God do with dead things?
.
Last but not least, what is God doing in your life with "The Question That Begs An Answer"?
.
Well, there you have it, more questions, more opportunity for growth, more...
.
The rest is coming soon, and I'm really getting excited about my visit to Red Lobster, stay tuned...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I posted your original question on my site and another CHoG pastor (we are all so smart!) answered thus: "Absolutely! Aren't we after all a religion founded by resurrection?"

I find that answer wonderful. I am writing mine up (because I can't possibly say everything succinctly) and hoping to get it to you today!

Anonymous said...

The movie "The Sixth Sense" comes to mind after reading some of these questions. Only instead of the line in the famous advertisement for it "I see dead people", "I see dead churches" would be the line in this drama. For all you that have wathed this movie, you know what I am talking about. For all that haven't seen it, I won't ruin it for you. No real spiritual insight here at this time. Just a little humor.

Anonymous said...

Your question struck a chord with me because I’ve asked this question, argued about this question, cried about this question, yelled at others about this question, and yelled at God about this question.

I see churches I think are dead, but then I have to stop and wonder… do I think they are dead because they don’t worship like me, or talk like me, or want the same things for the church that I do? Are they dead because they have seven stubborn-faithfuls who love the Lord with all their hearts and care for one another deeply, just because they don’t have 7000 in attendance each week?

Unfortunately, we have an image in our heads of what “life” is and if something doesn’t measure up to that image, then we assume it is dead. I’ve had many heated conversations with people in this state who WANT my church to be dead (because of the low numbers, but especially their dislike of my “Harold”) and they want it to close. I then have to wonder, “Who is really dead in this situation?”

Sometimes I see myself as Moses, leading the first generation around in the wilderness. Although the Israelites wandered for 40 years, were they dead? The beauty of the Gospel is that even when we are walking through the valley of the shadow of death there is still hope, mercy, forgiveness, and life. I believe that all through the Gospel story, God is more powerful than numbers, Harolds, and death.

Where is this thought process taking me? As I walk with my friend who is dying, do I just give him up for dead because he is dying? When I walk in his room, he certainly looks like death, yet he is very much alive and able to talk with me. To give him up for dead would be to miss out on some very real blessings that he still able to bestow on my life. To give him up for dead is to deny his life.

Our God is a God of miracles who raised dead people from the grave. As a friend said, we preach a Gospel based on Resurrection!

So, does God call us to a dead church? I think a goodquestion is does God call our churches dead?

I believe God called me where I am to show them Life. I show them the Way the Truth and the Life by loving them and teaching them that where two or more are gathered together in His name, Christ promised to be also. It isn’t about their numbers, the songs we sing, or how big our facility is.

What matters is the Life that is in them. I have seen and witnessed the Life in them. Therefore, they can't be dead!

Anonymous said...

Except for the mustache... that guy up there reminds me of my daad!