Thursday, December 21, 2006

I'm Guilty...

I've got to admit it, I'm guilty! It was hard to keep from wanting to do it, and when I did, there was a thrill and chill at the same time. Thrilling was the sight and chilling was the threat. There before my eyes I beheld the very thing I wished for but because I knew it was too early, it was off limits. My heart raced, I wanted to touch it, but my heart sank so I didn't. At 4:30 A.M. I dare not awake the giant, no matter how excited I was about the sight.

Have you ever done something and knew it was wrong? Dumb question isn't it. We have all found ourselves in compromising situations. some more than others, but all across the line. It's the nature of the beast, one desire after another, some fairly safe, but some, well I don't have to tell you, you're probably thinking of it right now.

What does a sin, a star and and a cross have in common. YOU and ME. Behold, each of them are about us... The first was before we were born but put on us at our birth, the second is his birth which was because of his love for us, the third our chance for a second birth. Because we are guilty he had to come and do what no animal sacrifice could do.

I saw this on the front of one of the Christmas cards I received at my office... He came to pay a debt He didn't owe because we owed a debt we couldn't pay. Can't think of a better Christmas summary than that, can you?

By the way, it was a GI Joe headquarters, it was 4:30 AM (as best as my 45 year old brain can remember) and we were not allowed to get up that early on Christmas morning. I imagine it was so my parents could recuperate from sneaking into our bedrooms a couple dozen times through half the night to tell us that if we didn't get to sleep Santa Claus would not come (Yes, I believed in Santa, don't write me about this, you'll only scar me more and those who know me will hunt you down for having to live with me more messed up than I am now). Then came the time their little scheme came together and they sat out the toys for us. It was such a wonderful surprise. So instead of taking a chance on the great present I saw, I did as any good little boy : ) does. Fake sleep for another couple of hours till the parents are at the "waking" point and then yell like a crazed idiot, which is what I wanted to do at 4:30. Now you know why my parents kept me locked in the basement (just teasing, don't freak out on me now, we're almost done).

Hey, what are you wishing for this Christmas? I thought that might be it... Can I tell you something? I hope you get it too! Can I ask you to help me have a Merry Christmas? Take a few moments and contemplate what life would be like if Jesus had not come. Then think about how he did, leaving all heaven behind him, why, so you could have the best present in the world... His forgiveness and a reservation in the best resort ever built. Do me a favor, take a moment and accept the best Christmas present ever, eternal life, it's free for the asking and if you sense God calling to your heart, then unwrap it!

If you're guilty like I am (don't kid yourself, you are), then you need a good present...

Here's hoping you have the gift or are now opening it...

Tell me if you do...

3 comments:

Donna said...

Is that a picture of your GI Joe Headquarters?? You still have it?

Bill said...

I don't have the GI Joe HQ, it's a picture I found in the internet.

Anonymous said...

I bet if you look in your Mom's basement you may be able to find pieces of it. Just a thought....