Tuesday, December 19, 2006

I'll Be Home For Christmas...

There are no gifts with his name under the Christmas tree. No one has asked him what special food he would like for Christmas dinner. He will not have to drive anywhere for the holiday, he has no place to go. Despite their desire, he will not spend any time with family, they have mixed feelings about that. He's where he needs to be and yet he seems so far away. As he pauses, he thinks he can hear the voice of his wife and children but the activity around him drowns that out. He is not sad, despite all the things that are missing during this celebration of the young kings arrival.

This Christmas his life is filled in a way that it has never been before. He now knows more about the babe in a manger than he ever knew and boy has it excited his heart. Wise men may be telling him their story. Joseph, Mary and the babe share the thoughts and feelings they had that lone cold night away from the home they knew. They also share the peace they had inspite of all the trouble.

I can't help but wonder, what is he thinking right now? My heart goes out to him, but not in pity but in celebration. Imagine working all your life and seeing the final result, knowing that in some special way all of it worked out the way it was supposed to. I would love to see his face, the smile and satisfaction I imagine there warms my heart.

The Christ child now rules his life, no more guesswork. There is no stable or dusty roads. Only gold streets. The savior he knew is the Lord he worships. No gazing through the glass darkly and all makes sense. In some ways I envy him. In others I know our reunion will come, don't rush it, God has his time.

Dad, it's your first Christmas in heaven and I am so glad you're having a great time, in the next few days I'll think of you often, but only with warmth. Through tears I see more plainly that heaven has more gifts than the ones we could give you here. I miss you but wouldn't call you back, not for a million dollars.

You're truly home for Christmas. I'll be there soon for a lifetime here slips quickly from the top of the hour glass into the base of our last breaths. Thanks Lord for giving me a Christmas to look forward to.

Merry Christmas Dad! I know those words don't touch the wonderful time you're having this year...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a wonderful tribute.
Merry Christmas, my friend!

Anonymous said...

You have truly been blessed. Great tribute.

Donna said...

Bill-

What a nice way to honor your father! It is wonderful that you look forward to being with him in Heaven, rather than bring him back here. You are wonderful, you're parents should be so proud!

ur favorite cuz