Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Cops and speeders...

Here is a short man's wonderings about speeding tickets this early am...

Those who know me are familiar with my "met a police officer today" reputation for speeding tickets.  Most of the heavy footed encounters within my home town are "slaps on the wrist" since I spent 9 years as a chaplain with the local Sherriff's department.  My pride and wallet are thankful for this.

Well, I have to say that I struggle with the same "gotcha" syndrome when it comes to other people.  It's like I'm sitting along the side of a street, hidden like a cop in a school speed zone just waiting for someone to "break the law". 

It was a recent religious infraction which prompts this mornings wondering...

I sit remembering the words of a man who was visiting my office a week back.  He was there to help with some office equipement and as the discussion proceeded he did it, he went screaming through the speed zone.  No use in letting this "offender" get away with his offense, so I turn on the lights and motioned him to the edge of the conversation.  After my lecture on the benefits of watching his words and to be careful how "quickly" he pushed them into the conversation, he looked at me and with a humbled voice he said in a contrite voice...

"Please forgive those of us who don't understand."

I was floored.  His candor and humility disarmed me.  I was speechless, including no apology for my quick jump to "ticket" his "callous" shot into the world of words we were sharing.

Normally someone who "talks back" have their pride to soothe.  They proceed with a all out attempt to talk this legal beagle into letting their offense go, stating one of a hundred "reasons" for their transgression.  Most steeped in a lifetime of "Christian" living or churchgoing tradition.

No so this time.  This "gentle"-man didn't seem to have any wind left in his pride sail.  I was truly taken aback by his meekness.

The conversation finished and we each went our separate ways to proceed with the tasks and challenges of our vocations.

Days went by, I stewed over my behavior, better yet, the words of a familiar statement from Jesus tugged and twisted my heart.  The judgment that I had passed out so quickly was now "judging" me.  (See Matthew's account in chapter 7)  With the fight at an end, my pride stood up and walked out of the room and my humbled, embarrassed heart made the phone call to retract my "ticket" which I had so quickly passed on to this "wrongdoer".

My apology of a judgmental attitude was quickly met with a "it's ok" and "I forgive".  Then he said something I would never have thought to say, "Bill I think you're a good man and I appreciate what you do."  There you have it, rough words (my part), meek response (his response).  Apology (my part)...

Aren't you like me, waiting for the other shoe to drop?  If someone came to me and apologized I may (or more likely if the day is right) would say, "I forgive you, you were wrong."

Not this time, he says "I appreciate"...

How humbling...  Again...

Our second conversation ended much like the first, my heart had been exposed to grace.  Something I talk about regularly, give away as often as I remember and is the foundation of all I have as a believer and follower of Jesus, was served up with whip cream and a cherry on top. 

I only have one thing left to say...

I think dessert is better than the meal when it comes to a life full of judgmental attitudes.

Let's agree to remind each other of that the next time we have a "meat and potatoes" serving of criticism hot off the stove.

Till next time...

No comments: