Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Wet Grass, Burrs and Hunting With My Father...



Anybody besides me recognize these?

As I stepped out of my house this morning, the wet grass and dew covered world reminded me of my childhood days.  My dad would wake me up on a Saturday morning early, it was time to go hunting (please no anti-hunting comments).  Mostly squirrels were on the agenda, occasionally the rabbits had to beware, but overall we went and came home, empty handed.

Though the meat was scarce, the hitchhikers were not.  Often, unknown to me, would be a glob of these burrs, stuck to my pants and in need of removal before entering the car.  One thing is stuck in my mind about these unwelcome little visitors, they didn’t go away easily.  Nor did they seem to ever give up their grip on my clothing and skin.  Even when I got the majority, I seemed to always find a few stragglers once I got home and changed clothes.  Persistent little irritants.

I sit here wondering…  what in the world was God thinking when he created burrs?  Your question may be different than mine, but the result is the same, why are there things that irritate and distract our attention?

Some insight can be found in the passage from our founding father Adam…  the ground will produce thorns and thistles.” (Genesis 3:18b).  That is a technical answer.  But there is a real outgrowth of this early choice that Paul speaks of…   “I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate.”*… 

Just a few words later we see “I want to do what is right, but I can’t.  I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway.” *

What a conflict, yet many of you reading this know this fight.  Burrs are in your pantlegs and they are irritating.

Some of you know the feeling he then expresses…  Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life…?”*

What is your burr?

Disappointment?

Discouragement?

Doubt? 

Distrust?

Anger?

A physical desire?
 
Hurt?

Let me ask you?  Is there any hope?  If I say yes will you listen?  I know I don’t listen all the time, it’s not the right way to live my life, yet I find from time to time I am covered with burrs and I become satisfied with leaving them attached.  It’s hard when you are tired of pulling burrs.

Some are reading now, you’re not freshly covered with burrs.  You’ve forgotten your days of irritation so those struggling with burrs are feeling your “encouragement”.  And if you’re not careful, you and Jobs friends may be sharing the same pot of sour water.  What the struggling, tired, thirsty traveler needs is hope and it’s found in a clear, cool, clean drink of water, not another cup of burrs.  Helping now is contingent on your ability to remember the darkness of your own burr covered days.  For all you know, your attitude may be the burrs you’ve missed.

Back to the HOPE issue.  Paul throws us a “burr remover”… “Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord…  So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus.  And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you”*

You may not feel freed.  Everything may be going poorly.  Your heart may be fighting for one more beat.  Fresh air may seem out of breathing range.  Your sight may be dimmed.  Your limbs may be weary.

But in Christ…  YOU ARE FREE!

Not free from the burrs along the path, but you have a “burr puller” who knows where all of them have hidden and how to remove them.

Look to him today, be encouraged…

It’s my goal for my day, come join me!


* Romans 7:18-8:1 portions selected

No comments: