Monday, November 13, 2006

It's Colder Than A...

Be careful, sometimes your brain will get you in trouble. The recent change in weather here in Hoosierland has us fretting that some SNOW (that's not a cuss word despite the capital letters) may be coming our way this week. I find that quite funny. Last Friday I was on the golf course with a friend, tomorrow I plan to repeat the scene, different friend but the same course. But just as soon as the time allows for me to participate in my favorite activity (and may I add relaxing) the weatherman rains (actually it may be snows) on my parade.

Ever felt like life has the same twist. You're not alone. Listen to this man's perspective... "And he got up, fearing for his life, and went in flight, and came to Beer-sheba in Judah, parting there from his servant; While he himself went a day's journey into the waste land, and took a seat under a broom-plant, desiring for himself only death; for he said, It is enough: now, O Lord, take away my life, for I am no better than my fathers... And there he went into a hole in the rock for the night; then the word of the Lord came to him, saying, What are you doing here, Elijah? And he said, I have been burning for the honour of the Lord, the God of armies; for the children of Israel have not kept your agreement; they have made destruction of your altars, and have put your prophets to death with the sword: till I, even I, am the only one living; and now they are attempting to take away my life...And he said, I have been burning for the honour of the Lord, the God of armies; for the children of Israel have not kept your agreement; they have had your altars broken down, and have put your prophets to death with the sword: till I, even I, am the only one living; and now they are attempting to take away my life." (1 Kings 19:3-4, 9-10, 14 BBE).

If you have not heard this story, let me tell it to you quick. Elijah challenged the bad guys, won a big battle and got some much needed water for the king (See 1 Kings 18). Just as the weather was sun shiny and calm... "here comes the rain du dn du du" (actually the words to the song are "here comes the sun" but it doesn't fit here, so please pretend with me). Right in the middle of a victory comes a big punch in the gut, and just like you and me, he bends and holds his stomach.

I've had these days. So have you. They're the day someone else gets the promotion. When you're pulled over and it's the other guy that was speeding. Let's break into song together now... "No body knows the trouble I see..." Well, someone does. He did for Elijah and He does for us. The question of the hour is... are we listening?

I miss it, you may too! But God's faithfulness doesn't miss a thing. Even when we're out in left field, He's still in the dugout calling us to come in out of the rain. He's got hot chocolate with marshmallows, warm cookies, dry clothes and a place for you next to Him on the bench. Elijah was not alone (trust me read the rest of the chapter) and neither are you. Keep listening, through the ruckus of the storm and the shaking of the ground, he will still speak. I know it's Him when it's his will, his way, his glory and my eternity he is talking about. By the way, it will be the same agenda for you as well, remember, will, way, glory, eternity.

I think I'm going to go lay down now, turn on some praise music, close my eyes and wait for the CD to stop. I may be asleep by then, Elijah needed that. I may be awake and praying, that's what Elijah needed to do. I may have to get up for a quick snack, again Elijah and a need. God cares about my needs, yours too, let's agree together, take a moment and let him get a word in edgewise...

If he does, you won't feel like it's colder than a....

Let me know what he says...

Just Rambling

No comments: